Pet Etiquette Tips
The Pawfect Pet Gift
- Donít buy a dog for a friend or family member.
- For dog lovers, canine-themed products make
- Toys, treats, and gift certificates are good
- If you want to buy toys for a dog, consider factors
such as age, breed, sex, and size.
- If buying treats, purchase healthy treats made from
fresh ingredients, with no chemicals or preservatives.
To help with the process of finding a dog,
buy The Right Dog For You by Daniel F.
Tortora, Ph.D (Fireside, 1983) at your favorite pet store
For dog lovers, you can buy a gift subscription to Dog
Fancy Magazine at www.dogchannel.com.
Another great gift for the purebred-dog enthusiast is
the yearly poster of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog
Show. The poster proceeds benefit the organizationís
therapy dog program, Angel on a Leash. See www.westminsterkennelclub.org.
Pet Stages creates developmental toys for the stages
of a dogís life. Visit www.petstages.com to find a toy for
a puppy, adult, or senior dog.
See www.dogtoys.com for some great gifts. You can
shop by breed, toy type, toy size, and brand.
While Foppers Gourmet Pet Bakery makes beautifully
decorated 100 percent natural treats with yogurt (www.foppers.com), Honeybark Bakery makes organic treats
with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fresh meats, nuts,
seeds, and spices. Thereís something for every dogís
taste here (www.honeybark.com).
Taking Care of Pet Nannies
- To find a professional pet sitter to care for your
dog, contact your veterinarian, the National Association
of Professional Pet Sitters, or Pet Sitter
- Your pet sitter should be trained in animal-handling
skills and first aid and be willing to care for your pet
in your way.
- Confirm that the animal professional is bonded and
insured and has at least three references.
- Introduce your pet sitter to appropriate neighbors
and building staff and review all local health ordinances,
building, or community regulations for
information she should know.
- Leave your pet sitter detailed instructions regarding
the care of your dog.
- Put out all appropriate supplies and equipment for
your pet sitter, and leave her a small sum of money
- Ask your sitter to keep a daily log of your dogís
- Should the pet professional perform additional services,
thank her for fulfilling your request, and pay
additional charges for her time.
- Always pay your pet sitter in a timely manner.
Tipping your pet sitter fifteen to twenty percent
per visit is recommended.
The National Association of Professional
Pet Sitters (www.petsitters.org) or Pet Sitters
International (www.petsit.com) can help you find
a professional pet sitter to care for your pet when you
are away from home.
Planet Dog has created a notebook of pet sitting
instructions. The fill-in-the-blank sections allow you to
include emergency numbers, special instructions, and
more. See www.planetdog.com.
Best Guest Behavior
- Only ask a close family member or friend if you can
bring your dog along for a visit to their home and
only if your dog is well-behaved.
- If your host does not offer your pet an invitation,
donít try to change her mind; if you are invited,
discuss how to make the visit comfortable for
- Pack your petís possessions, including an odor
eliminator and stain remover, in case he has an
- Take care when introducing him to dogs in the
- Balance your dogís needs with the house activities.
- Walk your dog as a means of spending some time
with him alone, giving him some exercise and the
possibility of meeting new dogs and their owners.
- Be prepared to replace or repair any items destroyed
by your pet.
- Thank your host for the invitation.
Before leaving home, donít forget to bring
a gift for the host. Since you will spend
time together eating and drinking, take her a bottle of
wine from the Mutt Lynch Winery, located in Sonoma
County, California. She will be amused by the choices
of Merlot Over and Play Dead, Portrait Of A Mutt Zinfandel,
Canis Major Syrah, Canis Major Cabernet Sauvignon,
or Unleashed Chardonnay (www.muttlynchwinery.com).
Travel to a friendís house with a portable, soft kennel by
The Urine-Off Travel Kit allows you to use a black light
to locate stains that you canít see. Then you can treat
the soiled area with Urine-Off stain and odor eliminator
Use elegant pet stationery to write your host a thank
you note (www.the-petset.com).
Jump to a tip: